A shaky credit score means the difference between getting approved for a loan and being denied. And when you’re ready to go for that first home, or new car the last thing you want is to be denied. If you know your credit is bad, there’s no time like now to make steps towards improving it. Repairing your credit score won’t be a quick fix, but with a little consistency, it can be done. Here are some ways to start repairing your credit score:
- Pay down your balances and keep them low.
- Get rid of balances on multiple credit cards.
- Pay off balances with the smallest balance first, then move on to the next highest balance.
- Leave old debts and good accounts on your report as long as possible.
- When shopping around for a lower rate, try to do it in a short period of time.
- Pay bills on time.
No matter how horrible your credit report may look, it can be improved over time.